water-supplies - pipelogistic

Water Supplies

At Pipeline Logistics because of our extensive experience and knowledge in the water industry we are able to offer reliable and efficient solutions for any issues or concerns that you have regarding your water supply be it domestic or commercial.

Pipeline Logistics are Watermark approved leakage contractors for Severn Trent Water. We can carry out water leak and burst main repairs on all water pipes and water mains. We have also built up an extensive knowledge and skill base for locating leaks that are not visible. Our pipe and leak detection equipment helps us to quickly and efficiently locate your leak and repair it.

It could be an emergency burst water main that has flooded your property or a hidden water leak that is costing you thousands of pounds on your metered water bill. Do you need a new 32mm or 180mm water supply, or to replace an old pipe that is restricted causing poor flow? Maybe you want to extend the water system you already have to feed more buildings and cattle troughs. We can also install irrigation systems and fire hydrants.

All of these services and more are available at Pipeline Logistics.
At Pipeline Logistics, we offer excellent water supply solutions for any issues or concerns that you have on the water system that supplies your property.

Useful information about water supplies:

Most water supplies in the UK are supplied by local water authorities through an extensive network of water reservoirs, pumps, water mains and pipes. In some cases a number of properties are supplied by private water supplies originating from springs, wells or boreholes.

The water mains and pipes in public roads, footpaths and verges (called the ‘public highway’) are the water board’s responsibility (for example; Severn Trent Water or Thames Water). Pipes not in the public highway called the supply pipe, are normally your responsibility, although not all supply pipes are set out in this way. For example, you may share your supply pipe with a neighbour or have your own supply from a spring or borehole. In most cases there is a stop tap at the boundary of your property and there may also be a meter installed here. Both the stop tap and meter are the water board’s responsibility If the pipe supplying your property (supply pipe) has a leak then it is your responsibility. In the situation that you have a shared supply or joint supply then the responsibility may be shared with your neighbour depending on where the leak has occurred.
If you experience reduced water pressure or flow at your cold kitchen tap, you see damp or waterlogged areas in your garden even during spells of dry weather, hear noisy pipe work, or receive an unusually high metered bill, you may have a leak.
Step 1:
Shut off the internal stop tap on any rising mains (where the pipe enters the property). Check that the water has been successfully shut off by switching on the kitchen tap and ensuring it slows to a stop.

Step 2:
Once you are satisfied that there is no water being used, go to the meter, lift the lid and check to see if the meter dials are still turning. If the figures or dials move, it indicates a leak on the supply pipe. Wait at least 5 minutes to ensure that very small leaks can be identified.

Some leaks although small can add up over the course of a year. If your meter doesn’t seem to move but you are sure you have a leak because of a larger water bill, write down the meter reading or take a photo of it, leave the supply for a longer period (30 minutes to an hour) then compare the new reading to the previous one.
Many terraced properties, and some semi detached properties, were originally supplied with water through a branch supply pipe system. The branch supply transports water from the mains supply, via one stop tap to two or more properties. These properties can suffer from interruption to the pressure and flow of water.

A leak is often a sign that your private underground supply pipe is wearing out. Often repairing one leak will cause the pipe to leak somewhere else because of other defects or corrosion in the pipe work. Leaks may also develop later on as the condition of the pipe deteriorates further.

Black alkathene plastic pipes, lead pipes and galvanised iron pipes are most at risk of multiple leaks.. Once you have a leak it is often better and more cost effective for you to replace the pipe rather than just repair the leak. In many cases your water supply pipe is leaking due to widespread deterioration in the material it is made from.

If your supply pipe is lead then it is always advisable to have the pipe replaced instead of attempting to repair it because of the health implications associated with lead water pipes.
If your property was built before 1970 you may have lead pipes. The majority of houses built since 1970 are likely to have plastic or copper water pipes.

To find out for yourself, locate where the supply pipe enters your property, there should be a section of pipe before the main stop tap that appears different to the plumbing in your house. Lead pipes are a dull grey colour and if scraped with a coin you will see a shiny, silver coloured metal underneath.
There are strict regulations concerning the amount of lead allowed in drinking water. The drinking water standard is no more than 10 micrograms per litre from December 2013.

Lead does occur naturally but higher concentrations in water can be caused by it leaching out of lead water pipes and from the lead solder used on copper fittings. You should always run the cold tap for around 2 minutes if you have a lead supply that hasn’t been used for a little while. Follow this link for more information: http://www.stwater.co.uk/lead/7842
If you require a new water supply to your property then our state of the art trenchless technology provides the most efficient, minimally invasive and aesthetically pleasing solution. Impact moling is ideal for installing most water supplies, it reduces the amount of excavations required thereby limiting the need to dig up your newly laid tarmac or block paved driveway. On average one excavation per 10 meters is required.
((((moling link))))))

On longer supplies our horizontal directional drilling (HDD) technology is perfect for steering a water pipe along a 100m driveway with pinpoint accuracy and with only two excavations.
(((((HDD Link)))))

In agricultural areas where a long supply is required across paddocks or fields, our mole plough is the perfect machine to slice the ground and install your new supply effortlessly.
((((Mole Ploughing Link)))))
In order for the Water Board to connect your new water supply to the water mains it needs to be installed to comply with the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999. Pipeline Logistics are members of the watermark approved scheme for Severn Trent Water and members of Thames Water TAP5 scheme.

Severn Trent Water offer a free connection to the Severn Trent water main, when you replace your lead or shared supply from the internal stop tap to the boundary of your property.

Thames Water will give you a free connection if the communication pipe is lead but only if the lead content in
your water is above the recommended guidelines.
Once your service pipe has been renewed by a watermarked company, such as ourselves, an application form will need to be sent off to Severn Trent. You will in turn get an application number which you pass onto us, we then send this off with your water mark certificate.


Water Supplies

Moling & Pipe Installation

Mole Ploughing and Trenching

Directional Drilling

Private / Pumped Water Supplies

Leak Detection